Alawa Primary School staff, council and community were granted a Special Education Unit in 1994. This included a Special Education Teacher and an Assistant to work across the school in areas of recognized need and implement a Policy of Inclusion to support students within a mainstream setting. At times, SESA’s (Special Education Support Assistants) are employed to further support students’ learning.
The Special Education Team usually consists of the Special Education Teacher, Special Education Assistant, the class Teacher, Aboriginal and Islander Education Worker (AIEW), Special Education Support Assistant (SESA) when applicable, Assistant Principal and other agency consultants. This team works in consultation with teachers, parents/carers and other stakeholders to:
- identify children with special academic, behavioural, emotional and social needs
- suggest and implement appropriate teaching and learning strategies enabling students to access the curriculum and achieve outcomes
- make appropriate and informed educational options for students
- provide assistance for students with Pre-School and Middle School transition
- assist parents/carers to access specialist government and non-government services
Alawa Primary School promotes the ‘KidsMatter Primary’ program. KidsMatter is a national ,mental health promotion, prevention and early intervention initiative. Our school-based interventions provide students with experiences to strengthen their ability to cope with environmental stresses they may be growing up with and help them feel supported.
By implementing KidsMatter initiatives, students’ learning and emotional well-being can be improved.